Teeth WhiteningEveryone wants a shining set of sparkling white teeth. However recently, yellow teeth have become a common problem, which can lead to serious confidence problems. The home remedies that follow will help to restore your teeth back to their former whiteness.
What Causes Yellow Teeth?
It is best if you know the cause of the problem, from genetics, diet, tobacco, intake of excess fluoride level in water, taking certain treatments, ageing and poor oral health. Taking high doses of antibiotics, infections, climatic conditions and improper metabolism can also contribut.
Enamel Break Down
Generally a tooth is made of 4 tissues – enamel is the strong white covering that protects the tooth and dentin supports the enamel. Both play an important role in color.
Symptoms Of Enamel Break Down
Some symptoms include: teeth discoloration, worn away enamel, yellow tints and pits on teeth, foul smell from the mouth, etc. Certain foods and drinks like tea, coffee, etc. will stain the enamel and break down this enamel and after time. If this enamel breaks down then it shows the yellow dentin underneath.
How To Get Rid Of Yellow Teeth?
There are many professional treatments available which are very expensive. Try these natural remedies with ingredients that can be found in the kitchen.
Home Remedies for Whitening the Yellow Teeth:
Basil is an herb that is good for overall health. Using this basil will give a complete oral care, not just teeth whitening.
- Place a few fresh basil leaves in the shade to dry.
- Grind to a powder form.
- Use this powder instead of toothpaste.
- Rub your teeth with your cleaned fingers for more effective results.
- Or mix it with your regular tooth paste.
- Brush your teeth by using tooth brush to get rid of the yellow teeth..
- Use regularly.
- Crush fresh basil leaves to make a paste.
- Add dried orange peel powder and stir well.
- Apply this paste on your teeth evenly and completely.
- Leave for 15 – 25 minutes and then wash with water thoroughly.
- Do this process once daily.
- Crush fresh basil leaves to a paste.
- Add mustard oil and mix well.
- Use this paste as toothpaste.
- Use regularly.
2. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique that helps to achieve overall health by curing a variety of illnesses and also whitening your teeth. It removes the bacteria, plaque and gingivitis so that you get a happy and healthy smile. It has to be done first thing in the morning just after you wake up before brushing your teeth or eating.
- Take a spoonful of any oil like Coconut oil or Sesame oil or Olive oil.
- Swish the oil around your mouth.
- Pull this oil throughout your teeth and from one side to another side to get rid of the bacterial and other germs.
- Keep doing this for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 to 4 times a week till you get rid of the yellow teeth.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an age old remedy that has been effectively used to whiten the yellow teeth. However it has abrasive nature (alkaline) that clears the enamel of the teeth but also removes topical stains and plaque of the teeth. If lemon juice is mixed with baking soda, it further wears down the teeth with its citric acid (in lemon juice) that in turn unlocks some of this calcium present in your enamel and helps to whitening the teeth.
- Stir baking soda, salt and lemon juice in a bowl to make a paste.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth.
- Again brush with normal toothpaste.
- Follow this remedy no more than once or twice a week.
- Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, lemon juice and white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply this on the yellow teeth.
- Leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water and then repeat this process regularly.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of cold water.
- Use this as mouth wash 2 – 3 times a day.
- Continue doing this daily till you get rid of the problem.
- You can also add 1 ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in this solution.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a small amount of regular toothpaste.
- Stir well and brush your teeth using tooth brush.
- Repeat regularly to whiten teeth.
Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory property that helps to give relief from gum problems. It also has strong anti-microbial that kills all the germs and other micro-organisms that prevents tooth decay and gum disease.
- Roast turmeric for few minutes.
- Crush into a powder and add a little lime juice and salt.
- Mix well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the teeth.
- Leave for few minutes and then rinse it off with water thoroughly.
- Do this process regularly.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder with water to make a paste.
- Brush your teeth with this paste and leave for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water till the yellow strains has been removed from the mouth.
- Do this process regularly.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to ½ glass of water and stir well.
- Use as a mouthwash.
- Continue rinsing your mouth with this water regularly.
- Or simply sprinkle turmeric powder into the tooth paste which you’re using regularly.
Salt restores the lost minerals in the teeth and this in turn helps to achieve whiteness. However it is harmful for gums and enamel so avoid using this salt remedy regularly.
- Use salt as tooth powder instead of your regular tooth paste.
- Do this process regularly.
- Or you can simply mix baking soda with salt and rub this gently on the teeth.
- Stir common salt and charcoal in a bowl.
- Use this to brush your teeth.
- Repeat this regularly to get white teeth.
6. Certain Tree Twigs
Using certain tree twigs to clean the teeth is an age old traditional process. Trees like babul, banyan and neem or margosa trees contain astringent and other effective properties that help to give white teeth when you use the twigs regularly as your brush. Use tender twig which is not so soft or hard from the branch of any of these trees.
Babool Tree (or Acacia Arabica)
Babool tree is the most tooth friendly. Its extract has been used in making many herbal tooth pastes. tannin, a component in this twig whiten yellow teeth.
Banyan Tree (or Ficus Religiosa)
Banyan roots contain natural astringent property that makes your teeth white.
Neem or Margosa (or Azadirachta indica)
Neem has antiseptic, astringent, anti-bacterial and other properties that effectively treat all teeth or dental problems.
- Take a twig (the length of standard tooth brush) of any of the above trees and wash it well with water.
- Chew one side of the twig slowly for few minutes.
- After thorough chewing, the end will become scattered and fibers will come out of it.
- Brush your teeth with this fibrous end for about 15 – 20 minutes and then discard it.
- Use a fresh twig next time.
Strawberry is rich in vitamin C and has astringent property that breaks down the plaque which causes yellowness. Malic acid in strawberries removes stains and cleans your teeth.
- Cut a strawberry in half and sprinkle a pinch of baking soda on it.
- Rub on the teeth for few minutes.
- Rinse with water and continue doing this process regularly.
- A plain strawberry can also be used.
- Mash a strawberry to extract the juice.
- Apply this juice on the teeth and let it sit for a minute or two.
- Brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
- Regular application will give you whiter teeth.
Salt acts as abrasive portion of paste to physically scrubbing away the stain – the baking soda reduces the acidity on the teeth and makes it more visibly white in appearance.
- Mash 3 strawberries finely to extract its pulp.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Wipe out any extra saliva with a paper towel.
- Apply a generous portion of this paste on the teeth using the tooth brush.
- Leave for 15 minutes and then rise with water.
- Apply regularly.
Apples generally increase the saliva production to maintain a fresh and clean breath.
- Eat one or two apples a day.
- Chew apple to extract malic acid and the fiber in it removes the stains.
- You can also eat other crunchy food items like raw carrots, cucumbers and broccoli.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxides bleaching property removes yellow color on teeth. Make sure to use this H2O2 with caution as it cause irritation of the gums and makes teeth more sensitive. Also avoid swallowing this peroxide.
- Use hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash for a few minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Do this gargling process daily.
- Do not swallow this peroxide.
- Stir baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to make a paste.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth for few minutes.
- Lastly brush with regular toothpaste.
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial property which cures many gum diseases and kills oral cavities and whitens the teeth.
- Squeeze the juice from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Add vegetable glycerin and optionally baking soda, stir well to form a paste.
- Use this paste for cleaning your teeth.
- Leave this gel on the teeth for few minutes.
- Wash your mouth completely to remove the aloe vera gel.
- Regular follow this method to clear yellow sting on teeth.
11. Orange Peel
Vitamin C and calcium in the orange peel fight with micro-organisms in teeth to get relief from the problem. You can use fresh orange peel or dried orange peel powder.
- Peel the skin off an orange and dry in the shade for few minutes.
- Rub it on the yellow teeth for few minutes at night.
- Regularize this rubbing process.
- Crush dried bay leaves to make a powder.
- Add an equal amount of dried orange peel powder and stir it well.
- Add water to make a paste.
- Apply this on the teeth and rub this for few minutes.
- Or you can simply use dried powder as tooth powder.
Powerful crystals of charcoal are effectively used to whiten the teeth.
- Add a small amount of regular toothpaste to charcoal in a bowl.
- Stir well and use this to brush your teeth.
- Do this process twice a day.
- If you don’t have charcoal powder, you can use the ash of burnt bread and burnt rosemary.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and have bleaching property that helps to get rid of the yellow discoloration. Acid in lemon damages the enamel and calcium, so don’t use without diluting.
- Rub lemon peel on teeth for a minute.
- Wash this with water and repeat this regularly to get white teeth.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and water.
- Stir it well and brush your teeth with this diluted lemon juice.
- Wash with water and then brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
- Repeat this process regularly.
- Mix salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl.
- Apply it on the teeth and rub for few minues.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash the mouth thoroughly with water.
- Follow this process daily for about 2 – 3 weeks.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar removes the stubborn stains on the teeth and kills the germs that affect the teeth. But make sure that not to use frequently as this damages the tooth enamel.
- Add 1 part of apple cider vinegar to 2 parts of water.
- Stir it well and use this to gargle for 2 – 3 minutes, but do not swallow.
- Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste and then rinse with water.
- Or you can also mix this apple cider vinegar into your toothpaste.
15. Vitamin C and Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits and the other fruits which have vitamin C bleach the teeth. Mash and rub any of these fruits strawberries, lemon, orange, Indian gooseberry, tomatoes, etc.
16. Homemade Natural Teeth Whitener:
Curcumin in turmeric is anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and antibiotic which kills the germs and gives white teeth. Baking soda removes the stains from teeth and clears the plaque buildup. Coconut oil draws the bacteria out of mouth and prevents all tooth problems.
- Turmeric powder – 4 tablespoons
- Baking soda – 2 teaspoons
- Coconut oil – 2 ½ to 3 tablespoons
- Jar or container that has lid
- Mix baking soda, coconut oil and dried and organic turmeric root powder in a bowl.
- Brush teeth with this paste and rinse with water.
- Store the remaining paste in an air tight jar or container.
- Use regularly.
Tips to Prevent Yellowness in Teeth:
You can prevent this discoloration of the teeth to a great extent by simply following these tips:
- Use 3% hydrogen peroxide to rinse your mouth.
- Avoid drinking dark drinks like coke, coffee and other drinks that may stain the teeth.
- Always use a straw to consume any drinks or beverages like coffee, fruit juices, etc. to reduce the teeth exposure to the staining beverages and other drinks.
- Brush teeth gently, do not apply too much force on the teeth.
- Drinking a cup of tea daily which is rich in fluorides to fight against the bacteria and stop sugar production that leads to cavities.
- Avoid smoking, drinking red wines, other alcohol drinks, black tea, etc because they remove whiteness on the teeth.
- Replace the toothbrush for every 2 – 3 months.
- Drinking plenty of water and rinsing your mouth after every meal will help to clear the bacteria and other micro – organisms on the teeth.
- Include fibrous food in the diet and also fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Eat dark chocolate which has theobromine it makes teeth strong and whiten.
- Peelu plant fibers are also used as toothpaste to restore the whiteness on the teeth.
- Alcohol will dry out the mouth tissues and attracts the bacteria to clean the mouth. But this alcohol can increase the risk of oral cancer. So be careful in selecting the mouthwash and it’s safe to use alcohol – free mouthwash.
- Use whitening strips.
- Sugar – free gums (made from Xylitol) are used to whiten teeth. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that fights against the plaque, prevents the bacteria in the mouth, neutralizes the pH levels in the mouth and also increases the saliva production to get rid of the tooth problems.
- Consult dentist as these yellow teeth can be result of some infection and or any teeth problem.