|Home Remedies For Dandruff|
Dandruff is caused when the scalp’s epidermal layer is excessively replaced with a new layer, it is a fungal infection called malassezia yeasts. The out layer appears as flaky dead cells.
Excessive dandruff can further cause acne, eye redness, allergies and sneezing. Though the present market offers several counter top anti-dandruff products, it can be cured naturally with herbal treatment at home. Lemon has proven to be effective in fighting and reducing dandruff.
Lemon For Dandruff
Is Lemon Good For Dandruff?
Benefits Of Lemon For Hair: Here is why lemon proves an effective home remedy for dandruff:
- It contains anti-fungal properties that combat dandruff causing fungus.
- It has vitamin C and citric acid that fights against the dandruff.
- It moisturizes the scalp and shed away dead skin cells.
- It removes the stickiness on the scalp.
- The acidic property of lemon balances the scalp’s pH level.
- Its healing property soothes irritation and reduces itching.
- It contains essential antioxidants and vitamins helpful to promote healthy scalp and hair.
- Lemon rinse cleanses away leftover soap, shampoo or any chemicals applied on it.
How To Use Lemon For Dandruff?
Lemon is an easily available and is an inexpensive ingredient that removes dandruff naturally.
Home Remedies For Dandruff
Below are 25 home remedies for dandruff in which lemon is used as the main ingredient.
1. Lemon For Dry Scalp And Dandruff
- Cut 1 ripe lemon into two halves and apply the juice directly on the scalp.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and let it sit for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with cool water.
Note: Do a patch test first to make sure it doesn’t irritate the skin.
2. Lemon Juice And Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has deep moisturizing property that clears dry scalp and dandruff. Both coconut oil and lemon contains anti-bacterial properties that fight dandruff causing fungus.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and massage onto the scalp.
- Leave it on for 1 hour then wrap your hair in a warm towel.
- Leave for 20 minutes and wash off with mild shampoo.
Note: You can add grapefruit juice for effective results.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 cups of warm water.
- Apply this on the scalp for few minutes at night time.
- Wash it off the next morning.
- Mix lemon peel and coconut oil in a clean glass jar.
- Place this in sunlight for about 10 days.
- Strain the oil and apply this on the scalp and massage it gently.
- Leave overnight and wash it off the next morning.
- Repeat the process regularly.
3. Lemon And Hazel Oil
- Hazel oil moisturizes the scalp to prevent dryness and inflammation.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and witch hazel oil.
- Slightly warm the mixture on indirect heat.
- Apply on the scalp and massage in a circular motion.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it with mild shampoo and water.
- Repeat this regularly to get rid of dandruff.
4. Lemon And Fuller’s Earth
Lemon with its acidic nature cleanses the scalp to remove the dead cells and dirt particles. Fuller’s earth absorbs excess oil from the scalp and prevents irritation.
- Mix fuller’s earth, water and lemon juice into a paste.
- Apply this on the scalp thoroughly.
- Leave it on for a few minutes to dry.
- Rinse with water and repeat once a week.
5. Lemon Juice With Curd And Honey
Curd moisturizes the scalp and hair and honey has anti – bacterial and anti – inflammatory properties.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey and 1 – 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in 1/2 cup of curd.
- Apply this thoroughly on the hair.
- Leave for 30 – 40 minutes before washing with mild shampoo.
- Mix sour curd, lemon juice and honey and heat slightly.
- Apply this on the scalp and wash it off after 20 – 30 minutes with water and mild shampoo.
- You can apply lemon curd on the hair with lemon peel and rub it gently with the inside of lemon skin.
- Use this method 2 – 3 times a week.
6. Lemon Juice And Garlic Powder
Garlic with its antibiotic property kills the bacteria on the scalp.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of garlic powder with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to make a paste.
- Apply on the scalp and hair and massage it gently.
- Wash with herbal shampoo and cool water after 30 minute.
- Repeat regularly to reduce dandruff.
7. Lemon Juice With Ginger And Olive Oil
Ginger acts as an anti – fungal and anti – inflammatory. Olive oil strengthens and nourishes the scalp and hair. This combination process not only clears dandruff but also prevents its recurrence.
- Peel and blend a ginger root to get its juice.
- Mix equal quantities of ginger juice, fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix it well and apply this on the scalp by massaging it gently.
- Wait for about 30 – 45 minutes before washing with water.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on scalp and hair.
- Wrap a towel around it overnight and wash off the next morning.
- Repeat the same process regularly.
8. Lemon Juice with Castor Oil and Coconut Oil
Hot oil treatment along with lemon juice is one of the best ways to treat dandruff and other scalp problems.
- Warm 1 tablespoon each of castor oil and coconut oil on an indirect heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and stir it well.
- Comb your hair and apply this warm oil mix on the scalp.
- Massage your scalp and hair gently in circular motion.
- Cover your hair with a warm and moist towel.
- Wash it after 20 – 30 minutes.
9. Lemon Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid that kills the fungus which causes dandruff and also clears dead skin cells on the scalp to prevent dryness and itchiness.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of cider vinegar in 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Apply this all over the scalp using a cotton ball.
- Repeat this process regularly.
10. Lemon Juice and Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds have natural emulsifying properties that moisturize and hydrate the dry and itchy scalp.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and dried powdered fenugreek seeds until it forms a paste.
- Apply on the scalp and let it sit for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
- Apply regularly.
11. Lemon Juice and Tea Powder
- Mix 2 tablespoons of tea powder in 1/2 cup of water in a pan.
- Heat until you gets a thick consistency.
- Keep the lid closed for few minutes and strain the tea.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Apply on the scalp with cotton ball when it is warm.
- Leave for 15 – 20 minutes and then wash your hair.
12. Lemon Juice and Egg
Egg contains proteins and nutrients that nourish the scalp to prevent dryness, itching and inflammation.
- Whip an egg and add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Stir it well and apply this as a hair mask.
- Leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes and then rinse your hair with water followed by mild shampoo.
- Mix 1 egg white and the juice of 1 medium sized lemon.
- Apply this mix on the scalp and wash it with mild shampoo.
- Use lemon water as a final rinse.
- Mix the juice of 1 lemon and an egg with 3 tablespoons of henna powder to make a fine paste.
- Massage gently into the scalp.
- Wash it off after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Follow this process regularly.
13. Lemon and Orange Peel
- Blend some dried orange peel and lemon slices.
- Apply this paste on the scalp thoroughly.
- Leave it on for 20 – 30 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Apply your regular conditioner as usual.
- Repeat regularly to get desired results.
- You can also mix orange peel powder and lemon juice to make a paste.
14. Lemon Rinse and Water
A lemon rinse is the best way to remove dandruff from the scalp and to prevent its recurrence.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 1 mug full of water.
- Use this lemon water as a final rinse for your hair after shampooing it.
- For more effective results, use this lemon rinse after hot oil treatment.
- You could also boil 4 peels of lemon in 4 cups of water for about 20 – 25 minutes, let this concoction cool down and use this to rinse your hair.
- Repeat this lemon rinse regularly.
15. Lemon and Neem
Neem leaves are loaded with anti – bacterial, anti – fungal and anti – inflammatory properties that work well to reduce the dandruff growth.
- Blend a few neem leaves to make a fine paste.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and stir well.
- Spread all over the scalp and wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash with shampoo and water.
- Boil few neem leaves in 4 – 6 cups of water and strain the liquid.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice in it and use this to rinse your hair after using shampoo.
- Follow this process twice a week.
16. Lemon and Baking Soda
- Mix fresh lemon juice and baking soda to make a fine paste.
- Apply on the scalp thoroughly.
- Leave it on for a few minutes until your scalp feels itchy.
- Wash your hair using apple cider vinegar as your conditioner.
- Regularize this process to get quick results.
17. Lemon and Hot Oil Therapy
Hot oil therapy is another effective way to treat dandruff. This therapy stimulates blood circulation and nourishes the scalp to prevent dryness, itchiness and flakiness.
- Warm 1/2 cup of any oil (castor oil / olive oil / coconut oil).
- Apply this oil on the scalp and massage in.
- Wrap your hair in a hot steamed towel and leave for an hour.
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the scalp and leave it on for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Wash off with mild shampoo and water.
18. Lemon and Honey
Both honey and lemon acts as hair cleansing agents.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice in 5 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Add water and stir well.
- Apply this mixture on the hair and then wash off with water.
19. Lemon and Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti –bacterial and anti – fungal properties that clears dandruff.
- Mix freshly extracted aloe vera and lemon juice together.
- Apply this on the scalp.
- If it stings, apply 1 tablespoon of yogurt or olive oil to this mix.
- Leave it on for about an hour and rinse your hair with mild shampoo.
- Continue doing this process regularly.
20. Lemon Juice and Sandalwood
- Combine the oil of sandalwood and fresh lemon juice.
- Apply this on the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently and leave it on for an hour.
- Shampoo your hair and repeat the same process regularly.
21. Lemon with Milk and Black Pepper
- Combine 1/2 cup of milk, 10 grams of black pepper powder and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Apply this mixture on the scalp.
- Leave it on for about an hour and rinse it off with water.
- Regularly follow this method.
22. Lemon Juice and Tomato
Tomato improves the blood circulation and restricts the dandruff.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in 1 cup of tomato juice.
- Apply this on the scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash it off with water followed with mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this regularly.
23. Lemon with Sugar
- Add sugar to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Stir it well and apply this mixture on the scalp.
- Expose your hair to the sun for about 5 – 6 hours.
- Then wash it with mild shampoo.
- Mix equal quantities of fresh lemon juice, sugar and pure mustard oil.
- Apply this on the scalp.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water after 30 – 45 minutes.
- Do this process regularly.
24. Lemon with Coconut Milk and Yogurt
Lemon kills the dandruff causing bacteria while coconut oil and yogurt nourishes the scalp. This combinational process not only in prevents dandruff but also enhances hair growth.
- Combine ½ a cup of fresh coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of yogurt and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Stir it well and apply all over the scalp and hair.
- Cover your head with shower cap and leave for about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Wash it off with mild shampoo and water.
- Follow this process twice a week.
25. Lemon And Cucumber
Using natural shampoos with ingredients like lemon and cucumber helps to cure the problem without any side effects.
- Peel 1 lemon and 1 cucumber.
- Blend them in a food processor to make a fine paste.
- Massage it on the scalp and wash it off with water thoroughly.
- Repeat regularly.
Tips And Precautions:
Follow these tips and precautions for best results.
- Always do a patch test before using these methods.
- Add some fresh lemon juice to your shampoo to create an anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Do not go outside in the sun after applying lemon on the scalp as it may bleach the hair slightly.
- Make sure lemon juice does not get in your eyes.
- Avoid using lemon juice with aloe vera on your hair frequently, as it lightens the color of hair.
- Rub lemon juice mixed with cosmetic vinegar on the scalp with cotton wool after massaging with hot oil on the scalp and leave on overnight.
- Mix amla juice in lemon juice and apply this on the scalp. Wash it off with water after 30 minutes. Or use mustard oil instead of amla juice.
- Do not apply on open wounds.
- Always try to use fresh lemon juice.
- Dilute the lemon juice if you have a sensitive skin.
- Lemon is acidic in nature, so excessive use of lemon on the scalp and hair can make hair brittle.
- Make sure to consult your dermatologist or healthcare professional to seek advice if these methods don’t help.