People love their hair, and it can be a big part in people’s lives. The life cycle of hair growth undergoes four stages – Anagen stage- hair growth is thick, Catagen stage- hair root starts degenerating, Telogen stage- hair stops completely and Early Anagen- hair starts to fall out and new cells grow. Diet, hormonal changes, genetic problems, medications, stress, lack of sleep is some of the reasons which could prevent the hair to grow naturally.
How To Make Your Hair Grow Faster?
How to get long hair? is a common question that many people want to be answered. There are so many people who spend lots of money in the treatment of their hair to become more beautiful. It’s a waste of time and money as there are many natural homemade remedies which make your hair to grow faster and stronger.
Home Remedies For Hair Growth
Here, are 23 effective remedies which help to make your hair naturally grow stronger and healthier.
1. Onion Juice (Onion for Hair Growth)
Onions are rich in sulphur which helps to boost the production of the collagen tissues of the hair.
- Chop 2-3 red onions or shallots into small pieces.
- Blend them to get the juice out.
- Apply all over your scalp.
- Leave for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Or boil chopped onions in water for few minutes and use this water to rinse your hair.
Eggs have high levels of proteins and are rich in zinc, sulphur, iron, phosphorus & iodine, all of which help to grow new hair.
- Separate white from egg.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and honey to egg white.
- Mix and apply all over your hair.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water and apply shampoo to your hair.
- Repeat at least once every two weeks.
Note: You can apply only egg white.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
These seeds accelerate your hair growth and protect the natural color of your hair.
- Soak 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water for 4-5 hours, add a few drops of water and grind.
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut milk and mix well.
- Thoroughly apply the solution to your hair.
- Allow it to sit for half an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
- Soak 2 – 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Make a fine paste of the seeds.
- Apply to your scalp and leave for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
4. Potato Juice
Potatoes are rich in calcium, iron, potassium and protein which help to make your hair to grow longer and stronger.
- Squeeze the juice from some potatoes.
- Apply the juice to your hair and scalp.
- Leave for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
- This remedy is especially helpful to those suffering from hair thinning.
- Mix 1 cup of potato juice with egg white and a little honey.
- Mix it well and apply to your hair.
- Leave for 2 hours before rinsing your hair with a mild shampoo.
Bananas contain potassium and vitamins A, E and C which helps your hair to grow faster.
- Mash a ripe banana to make a paste.
- Massage this onto your scalp and hair.
- Cover your hair with a plastic bag or shower cap.
- Leave for 45 minutes before washing off with shampoo.
6. Henna Powder
Henna Powder is a natural conditioner which adds color to your hair. It also promotes hair growth of existing hair by strengthening its roots.
- Mix 1 cup of henna powder, ¼ cup of yogurt and 2 drops of lemon juice.
- Keep it aside for2-3 hours or overnight.
- Apply this to you hair, covering from the scalp to the bottom of your hair.
- Leave on your hair until it has completely dried.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat at least once in three weeks for hair growth.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Capsaicin, present in cayenne pepper, irritates your scale when applied. This irritation causes an increase of blood flow to your head, which causes hair growth.
- Lightly heat ½ cup of olive oil in a pan and then add 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder.
- Stir continuously to avoid clumping.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Apply to your hair scalp and massage.
- Leave it for at 3 hours or overnight.
- Rinse off with shampoo.
- Or mix 1 tsp of powder and 2 tsp of olive oil properly and apply it on the scalp. Leave it for few minutes and wash off with cool water.
8. Green Tea
Green tea is rich in anti oxidants which boosts hair growth and prevents hair loss.
- Prepare a green tea.
- Apply all over your scalp.
- Leave it for an hour without disturbing.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat the process regularly alternate weeks.
9. Amla / Indian Gooseberry
Amla is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C which promotes hair growth and improves the pigmentation of hair.
- Mix 2 teaspoon each of amla powder or juice and lime juice.
- Apply this solution to your scalp and leave for a few minutes.
- When dry, wash off with warm water.
- Boil 1 tablespoon of dried gooseberry in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Strain this mixture ad massage into your scalp before bed.
- Wash and shampoo your hair the next morning.
- For best results, use this twice a week.
10. Black Pepper
Black pepper is commonly used in ayurvedic medicines. It stimulates your hair to grow properly.
- Blend 2 teaspoons of peppercorns to make a powder.
- Add ½ cup of lime juice and mix to create a smooth paste.
- Apply this to your hair roots and then cover your head with a warm towel.
- Leave for 30 minutes before washing off completely.
11. Hibiscus Flower
Hibiscus flower prevent pre-mature ageing of the hair, and makes it grow thicker. It also help to cure dandruff.
- Mix few hibiscus flowers with 2 tablespoons of coconut or sesame oil to make a paste.
- Apply this all over your hair and scalp.
- Rinse it off completely using a mild shampoo.
Garlic boosts regeneration of new hair and scalp circulation. It is also used for treating dandruff.
- Crush 3 garlic cloves.
- Boil the cloves in 3 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil.
- Let it cool for few minutes and apply this oil into the roots of your hair follicles.
- Repeat the treatment three times a week.
13. Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil
Lemon juice and coconut oil helps to make your hair grow faster and prevents dandruff, which can cause hair loss.
- Mix lemon juice and coconut oil in 1:2 ratios.
- Massage into your scalp.
- Leave in your hair for 5 hours to overnight.
- Wash your hair with cool water.
14. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera acts as a conditioning agent which promotes hair growth and eliminates dandruff.
- Drink aloe vera juice half an hour before eating a meal.
- You can also use this aloe vera juice or gel to massage your scalp. It contains anti fungal and antibacterial properties to prevent infection.
Avocados have some nutritional compounds which makes your hair grow stronger.
- Mash 1 avocado and 1 banana into a paste.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp and leave for about 30 minutes for the nutrients to be absorbed.
- Wash it off with shampoo and apply conditioner.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil and half mashed avocado.
- Shampoo your hair and apply this as a hair mask.
- Leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair completely with shampoo and then conditioner.
- Heat coconut oil for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Massage your hair from top to bottom with the oil
- Massage the avocado paste on the tips of your hair.
- Leave for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with shampoo.
16. Combination of Oils
Oil treatment will do wonders to your hair.
- Lavender oil (used for curing alopecia)
- Rosemary oil
- Thyme oil
- Jojoba oil
- Mix all the oils together in equal quantities.
- Apply this to your scalp and then wrap with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave for an hour before rinsing off with a mild shampoo.
17. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is rich in antioxidants which help to clear away free radicals, increase oxygen and blood circulation to the scalp and grow hair faster and healthier.
- Buy some vitamin E oil, available in many stores.
- Massage this oil onto the scalp.
- Leave it overnight
- Rinse it off with mild shampoo the next morning.
18. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is rich in proteins and essential fats which promotes hair growth and prevent hair loss.
- You can buy coconut milk in stores or prepare it at home.
- To make this, add freshly grated coconut to a pan of water for 5 minutes and then strain.
- Allow it to cool for few minutes.
- Apply this milk thoroughly on your scalp and hair.
- Leave for 20 minutes before washing with shampoo.
19. Olive Oil
Olive oil, when used regularly prevents the formation of the DTH hormone and helps for hair growth. It acts as a natural conditioner as it is rich in antioxidants that make your hair soft. Apply the oil before shampooing or include it in your regular diet. Apply this to your hair by mixing it with other oils like sage, lavender for hot oil treatment.
20. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil is extracted from rosemary herbs. It increases the cell division and expands the blood vessels so your hair grows faster. You can use rosemary oil either by mixing it with your shampoo or conditioner, or by massaging your scalp with the combination of other essential oils.
21. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains proteins and potassium, both useful in keeping your scalp healthy and to increase the growth of new hair. Apply coconut oil regularly to condition the damaged hair. It also cures dandruff and acts as a moisturizer.
22. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil acts as a stimulator, preventing your hair from becoming dry and brittle. It cleanses your pores by giving them some space and allowing new hair to grow there. Apply jojoba oil at night and leave overnight for best results.
23. Diet Plan
Following a few changes in your diet can lead to a big change in your hair growth.
- Avoid processed food and drinks.
- Include dark green vegetables in your diet as they contain iron which helps the hair to grow.
- Eat food rich is omega 3, such as fish, nuts, etc.
- Include food containing vitamin E like cereals, sunflower oil, soybean oil etc. in your diet.
- Eat citrus fruits like amla, orange, lemon, kiwi, guava etc. which are rich in vitamin C.
- Consume foods such as banana, potato, chicken, oatmeal, fish and beans which contain vitamin B. This helps to stimulate the production of haemoglobin in your blood and increases the circulation of blood to your scalp.
- Intake of vitamin A helps to promote strong hair growth. So include carrots, prunes, papaya, mango etc. in your diet. However do not overeat these foods.
- Have protein and fiber rich food like whole grains, eggs, soybeans, kidney beans etc. Our hair is made of special protein called keratin; this promotes the growth of new hair.
- Flaxseeds are rich in essential fatty acids so include this oil in your diet.
Tips Which Helps For Hair Growth:
- After shampooing, rinse with apple cider vinegar to get healthy growing hair and maintain the pH balance.
- Massaging regularly with essential oils and wrapping your head with a towel or shower cap will help to promote the hair growth by reducing the hair fall and split ends.
- Apply sage oil to your hair with either with apple cider vinegar or another essential oil.
- Apply flaxseed oil with the combination of other oils.
- Hot oil or lukewarm oil massage on your scalp improves the blood circulation and removes dead skin flakes to promote strong new hair growth.
- Drink lots of water.
- Don’t blow dry your hair and brush it gently. Try not to use the silicon based hair products.
- Apply conditioner and sit in a stream room regularly.
- Don’t wash your hair regularly as it makes your hair dry and rough.
- Avoid hair styling products or tying up your hair tightly.
- Protect your hair from the dust and sunrays by wearing a scarf or hat.
- Avoid stress.
- Take 400 mgs of standardized extract of saw palmetto and 100 mg of beta sitosterol daily.
- Hormonal imbalance and changes in your body will lead to hair loss so, maintain a perfect diet and be a healthy weight.
If there are any other reasons over medications, overweight, stress etc. which prevent your hair growth then consult the dermatologist.