Most of the women affected with yeast infection feel embarrassed about it and hesitate to seek medical attention. Candida Albicans is the main culprit behind a yeast infection. A vagina is a home for many microbes including good and bad. While the good ones keep a check on the bad microbes which include candida. When this balance is disrupted, candida grows out of control developing a yeast infection.
What Causes Yeast Infection?
The main disruptors are hormonal imbalance, weak immune system, oral contraceptives and antibiotics. Restoring the vagina’s population of friendly bacteria especially lactobacillus acidophilus is the perfect solution to treat the root cause of the yeast infection.
Yogurt For Yeast Infection
Both Apple cider vinegar and yogurt contain friendly bacteria which helps us deal with the problem. Though apple cider vinegar is highly effective, due to its acidic nature, some people feel scared to use it. If you are one of them, then yogurt is an alternative.
Is Yogurt Effective in Treating Yeast Infection?
Benefits Of Yogurt For Yeast Infection:
- Yogurt contains lactobacillus acidophilus which is friendly bacteria usually found in our intestines and vagina. When this bacterium interacts with sugar present in our diet, it generates hydrogen peroxide through a chemical process called fermentation. This hydrogen peroxide kills the yeast infection.
- The probiotics or the friendly bacteria present in yogurt restore the balance between the good and bacteria in the body.
- Usually, yeast thrives in a less acidic environment. By balancing the acidic levels yogurt makes it difficult for the yeast to grow or spread.
How to Use Yogurt for Treating Yeast Infection?
There are different ways of using yogurt for yeast infection which include both internal consumption and external application. For your convenience, we have mentioned them below in detailed steps.
Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
1. Yogurt Tampon
Inserting yogurt into the vagina is a pretty messy job. Following this process makes it easy.
- Add unsweetened yogurt into a plastic tampon.
- Refrigerate it to get little yogurt sicles.
- Insert these popsicles into the vagina for 2 hours.
- Additionally, apply some yogurt to the labia and vaginal opening.
- Put on a pad to collect the melting yogurt and find relief from the cold yogurt.
- Rinse off with water and dry thoroughly.
- Repeat the process once during day and another overnight.
- Alternatively, coat a tampon with yogurt and insert it into vagina and leave it for about 4 – 6 hours or overnight.
Alternative: If you don’t have a plastic tampon then you can use a disposable glove. Fill the glove fingers with yogurt and freeze them. Take out as needed and insert into the vagina.
2. Yogurt Sicles
The cool temperature of the sicles will reduce reduce the inflammation and swelling.
- Take a cup of yogurt and fill the slots of an ice cube tray.
- Place the ice tray in the refrigerator and let it freeze for 3 – 4 hours.
- Remove the yogurt sicles from the ice cube tray.
- Gently rub them on the affected areas.
- After finishing it, rinse off with lukewarm water and pat it dry thoroughly.
- Repeat the process at least 2 times a day for quick results.
3. Yogurt External Application
This process is very simple and doesn’t need any earlier preparations.
- Take some yogurt in a bowl.
- Using your fingers, apply a coat of yogurt on the affected areas.
- Leave the application for 30 minutes and wipe off it.
- Repeat the process at least 3 times a day for 1 week to notice the results.
4. Yogurt Using a Syringe
For this method you will need a syringe without a needle. By following this process, we apply the yogurt inside the vagina without much discomfort.
- Take syringe without a needle and fill it with yogurt.
- Sit with your legs wide spread apart.
- Place the business end of the syringe into the vagina mouth.
- Squirt the yogurt inside.
- Leave it for some time. Make sure not leave the application for a longer period of time.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Repeat the application only when you need it.
5. Yogurt Consumption
Simply consuming an increased amount of yogurt can help to fight with yeast infection from the inside.
- Consume 1 cup of yogurt 2 times a day i.e., once in the morning and another during night.
- If you don’t like consuming yogurt, you can take probiotic supplements for achieving the same benefits. Probiotic supplements contain good bacterial strains which help to control and prevent the growth of infection.
6. Garlic and Yogurt
The allicin present in garlic contains antifungal properties which deal with the yeast infection. Apart from that, it boosts your immune system to fight off the infection and prevent its recurrence.
- Peel 2 – 3 cloves of garlic and mince it to make a paste.
- Stir in garlic paste to a cup of yogurt and consume it.
- Eat garlic yogurt at least 2 times a day.
7. Yogurt and Onion
Onion is rich in powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which help to treat the infection. A large number of yeast patients suffer from water retention as well. Onion helps to remove the excess fluids from the body.
- Take 1/2 onion and grind it.
- Add onion paste to a cup of yogurt (unsweetened) and consume it.
- Eat yogurt and onion mixture daily 2 times a day.
8. Yogurt and Ginger
Ginger exhibits a detoxifying effect on the body. It also helps in improving blood circulation and strengthening the immune system to fight off the yeast causing infection. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger soothe the inflammation caused by the infection.
- Using a grater, grate a 1-inch ginger.
- Stir in the grated ginger into a cup of yogurt and consume it.
- Consume this twice a day daily and you will observe results in few days.
9. Yogurt and Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are loaded with amazing benefits. They are rich in omega-3 which is known for its antiviral, antifungal and anti-parasitic properties. Apart from killing the yeast fungus, it also provides relief from the inflammation caused by infection.
- Add 10gms of pumpkin seeds into a cup of yogurt.
- Repeat this remedy at least 2 times a day to get relief from the infection quickly.
10. Yogurt and Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is well known for strengthening the immune system and eliminating toxins that include candida. Fatigue, caused by yeast infection can also be treated using cayenne pepper. When cayenne pepper is combined with yogurt, it reduces the yeast infection in a matter of few days.
- To a cup of yogurt (unsweetened), stir in 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Repeat this remedy at least 2 times a day.
11. Lactobacillus Acidophilus Pills:
If you don’t like to eat yogurt then you try its supplements. Yogurt supplements which are also available as lactobacillus acidophilus pills can also be used to treat a yeast infection.
Dosage – 1 to 2 Lactobacillus Acidophilus pill (each containing 10 million to 1 billion CFU’s colony forming units for once or twice a day until the infection is completely gone.
Alternatively, you can cut open the tablets, extract the powder and use it for external application.
What Kind of Yogurt Is Used
To Treat Yeast Infection?
In order to treat a yeast infection, you can either use store bought or homemade yogurt. However, if you are buying it from a store then make sure it is unsweetened, unflavoured and it should contain live active Lactobacilli (more than one species is good).
Flavored contains added sugars which encourage the yeast to grow. Thus, if flavored or sweetened yogurt is used then the situation can worsen.
Homemade Yogurt Recipe:
Making yogurt at home is very simple. By following the below steps you can make about 2 quarts of yogurt.
Things you need…
- Organic, whole milk
- 1 yogurt starter kit
- wooden spoon
- Instant-read or candy thermometer (one that can clip to the side of the pan)
- heavy saucepan with a lid
- 1 wooden spoon
- Instant-read or candy thermometer (one that can clip to the side of the pan)
- Sterilized glass jars
- Heating the Milk: Pour the milk into a saucepan and warm it until it reaches right below boiling point (about 185°F). Stir the milk gently while heating to make sure the bottom doesn’t scorch and milk doesn’t boil over.
- Cool the Milk: Let the mixture cool down until it is warm enough to touch (about 110°F). Stir it occasionally to prevent the skin from forming. These temperatures are important so it is better to use a thermometer. Although if the milk is down or up by few degrees it should not matter.
- Thin the yogurt with Milk: Take a yogurt starter kit, add cultures into the milk. The quantity of the cultures will be provided on the pack). Whisk the milk until yogurt is dissolved in the milk.
- Pour The Milk: Take sterilized jars. Pour the milk and yogurt mixture into it making sure to leave some space on the bottom. Close the lids and place in a warm place away from direct sunlight somewhere the temperature is around 100 degrees Fahrenheit (or 38 degrees Celsius), perhaps next to radiator or boiler.
- Wait for the yogurt to set: Leave the jars for 4 hours to overnight for the yogurt to set. The time for yogurt to set depends on the cultures used, temperature of the milk and your yogurt preferences. The longer it sits the thicker and more tart it becomes. If this is the first time, you are trying then check after 4 hours and stop when it reaches the taste and consistency you need.Note: Avoid jostling or stirring until the yogurt is set.
- Making the next batch: Once you made one batch of yogurt, you can use some of it to make next batch. After few batches, if you observe some odd flavors or if it’s not culturing quite quickly, then it means some outside bacteria has taken up the residence. As long as the yogurt is good to taste, you are safe to use it. To make a fresh, you can use a store brought commercial yogurt in your next batch.
Is Greek Yogurt Good for Yeast Infections?
Yes, greek yogurt is also considered to be safe for treating vaginal yeast infection. The benefits of Greek yogurt are as same as normal yogurt. Avoid using sweetened and flavoured sweet yogurt as the yeast feeds on sugars and worsen the infection. You can use Greek Yogurt for both topical application and internal consumption.
How to Prevent Yeast Infections?
It is always advisable to take enough measure to prevent yeast infections from occurring. Paying attention to few things will help us to maintain a healthy vagina.
- Moisture can be lead to yeast infection. So, it is very important to keep the vagina dry. Even if you apply the yogurt, after rinsing off, dry the affected area thoroughly.
- When you are suffering from yeast infection, avoid wearing tight clothes as they can trap moisture which helps yeast to grow.
- Avoid taking antibiotics as it kills off the good bacteria.
- Wear cotton underwear as it ensures there is no sweating in the genital area.
- Always use unscented tampons. The scented tampons contain chemicals which will disrupt the pH balance in the vagina which result in yeast infection.
- Avoid taking estrogen-based contraceptives as they can change the hormonal levels which increase the yeast infection. If you need a contraceptive then choose progesterone based one.
- Avoid taking stress as it will have a negative impact on the immune system which allows the yeast to grow.
- Avoid using soaps, feminine perfumes, sprays, scented toilet papers, talc, douches and deodorized tampons as they affect the natural cleansing process and pH balance.
- As yeast thrives on sugar, it is better to avoid sugar intake until the infection is completely gone.
- Eat a well balanced nutritious diet which contains enough vitamins and minerals to maintain your immunity.
- Even though yogurt is effective in treating a yeast infection, if it is not working for you or the condition worsens, it is better to consult a doctor.
- If you are pregnant, suffering from yeast infection for the first time, or suffering on regular basis then it is better to get examined by a physician.