Raisins And Constipation
Constipation is when an individual has difficulty in passing stool. This problem can be caused by slow movement of stools through the colon, causing discomfort and pain. The problem occurs when stools build and get harder and harder, making it harder for them to pass.
Raisins For Constipation
Raisins are good for treating constipation due to its fiber and laxative content. They are dry fruits obtained from sun dried grapes. They come in a range of colors, but black and gold are most often used for this treatment. They are a high energy, low fat snacks you can eat at anytime.
Raisins And Constipation
Are Raisins Good for Constipation?
Benefits Of raisins For Constipation Treatment:
- Raisins act as natural laxatives by loosening up the stool to move freely.
- It is a dried fruit which has a lot of fiber. If taken with water, it helps to give the stool the right consistency to pass easily from the large intestine to the colon and finally into rectum. You will get 6.1 grams of fiber from 1 cup of raisins.
- Raisins contain an insoluble fiber which helps stools to pass through the body by giving them bulk and a soft texture.
- Tartaric acid (has tannins and catechins) is present in raisins, this and the fiber content will work together for the elimination of wastes and other toxic impurities from the colon in the form of a smooth and gentle passage of stools.
- Everyone can use raisins with no side effects.
- It maintains a healthy balance between the good and bad bacteria in the intestine which is useful for proper intestinal system functioning.
- Apart from curing constipation, raisins help to stop the formation of loose stools by absorbing the liquid from the stools and thus reduce the chances of getting diarrhea. It also used in treating cancer, hypertension, diabetes, fever, anemia, eye care, acidosis, sexual dysfunction, bone health, dental health and other health problems.
- However it also has high levels of triglycerides that will increase the chance of developing many health related issues like fatty liver cancer, diabetes, coronary heart diseases, etc. so be careful while taking raisins in your daily diet.
How To Use Raisins For Constipation?
Use of home remedies to treat constipation is the best option you can try. As use of raisins is good cure for constipation, below are constipation home remedies in which raisin is used:
Home Remedies For Constipation
- Eat a handful of raisins an hour after completing meals.
- This process enhances the digestion process and movement of stool to regulate bowel movement.
- Or include raisins in salads, sandwich fillings, cookies, puddings, cakes and other baked items.
- Add these to toppings for oatmeal, salads, etc.
2. Soaked Raisins
- Place a handful of raisins in a bowl and completely cover with water.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to soak overnight.
- The next morning, eat these raisins on an empty stomach.
- You can also drink the water they soaked in.
- Continue eating these raisins along with water every morning with an empty stomach to prevent constipation.
3. Raisins – Oatmeal Cookies
Both raisins and oatmeal are very good for treating constipation with its high fiber content. So try these cookies to prevent constipation, only have 3 – 4 cookies a day.
- Raisins – 1 cup
- Rolled oats – 2 ¾ cups
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon – 3/4 teaspoon
- Butter – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- White sugar – 3/4 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Packed light brown sugar – 3/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Large bowl
- Cookie sheets
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (or 190˚ C).
- Mix together butter, white sugar and brown sugar until it forms smooth creamy paste.
- Beat in eggs and add vanilla.
- Add baking soda, flour, cinnamon, salt, oats and raisins and stir well.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of this mixture on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake it for about 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Take it out from the oven and allow it to get cool for few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Let it cool completely and then eat.
- Regular intake of this raisin – oatmeal cookies will help you a lot in preventing constipation.
5. Raisins with Other Dried Fruits
This process has both high fiber content and a laxative effect on the body that helps to ease constipation and ensures proper colon functioning.
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Pitted prunes – 1/4 cup
- Figs – 1/4 cup
- Currants – 1/4 cup
- Dates – 1/4 cup
- Prune concentrate – 1/4 cup
- Add equal quantities of raisins, pitted prunes, figs, currants, dates, prune concentrate to a blender.
- Blend them until it forms a thick juice.
- Store this in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.
- Eat 2 – 4 tablespoons of dried fruit mixture once a day to get rid of constipation.
5. Raisins with Senna Tea
This process has an effective laxative property that eases constipation.
- Raisins – 1 lb
- Senna tea – 1/2 cup
- Prunes – 1 lb
- Figs – 1 lb
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1/2 cup
- Boiling water – 2 ½ cups
- Place senna tea in boiling water and allow to steep for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the tea and add raisins, prunes and figs.
- Let it boil for about 5 – 8 minutes then remove from the tea.
- Add brown sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Wait for the mixture to cool before placing it in a blender.
- Blend to make a smooth paste and store this in the refrigerator.
- Use this mixture to spread on toast or add this to hot water and drink regularly.
6. Yogurt Raisins
Yogurt raisins are a healthy and inexpensive snack that you can add to salads, granola or a party mix etc. They have vitamins and minerals that are very beneficial for many health problems and contains iron, calcium, fiber, potassium and vitamin D which are essential for treating constipation.
- Yogurt raisins – handful
- Simply eat a handful of yogurt raisins.
- Or you can include them in any other forms like cutting it into small pieces and add them in cereals etc.
- The high fiber content in these yogurt raisins will help to regularize the bowel movement and boost overall health.
7. Raisins as Healthy Snack Ideas
- Peanut butter
- Celery sticks
- Apply peanut butter to celery sticks and spread around.
- Sprinkle raisins on the top of this stick.
- Have this as a snack in between meals.
- You can also sprinkle raisins on the ice cream and have this as desserts.
- Or you can also combine these raisins with almonds, peanuts and walnuts in a small plastic bag and have this as a snack.
8. Raisins as Healthy Meal Ideas
- For breakfast, you can add or sprinkle raisins in oatmeal instead of adding sugar or syrup.
- For lunch, you can top a salad with plenty of raisins.
- For dinner, you can add these raisins to the vegetables or in mashed potatoes.
9. Raisins with Milk
- Raisins – 10 to 12 pieces
- Milk – 1 glass
- Wash raisins and remove the seeds.
- Add them in a saucepan over the heat and add milk.
- Allow to boil it for a few minutes then remove from the heat.
- Take out the raisins and eat them and drink the milk.
- Repeat regularly.
10. Raisins with Fresh Apple Juice
- Fresh apple juice – 1 cup
- Figs (fresh or dried)
- Small organic apple – 1
- Place equal quantities of figs and raisins in a blender.
- Add fresh apple juice and organic small apple pieces.
- Blend to make a fine juice.
- Drink this daily to treat constipation.
11. Raisins Fruit Lax Recipe
- Raisins – 8 ounce
- Prunes (pitted) – 8 ounce
- Dates (pitted) – 8 ounce
- Senna leaves (crushed) – 3 ounce
- Sandwich zip lock bags
- Add equal quantities of raisins, pitted dates and prunes to a blender.
- Add crushed senna leaves and blend thoroughly.
- Roll this mixture into one inch balls.
- Store these in zip lock bags and place in the freezer.
- Take out one bag a week and keep in the refrigerator.
- Eat the balls nightly.
- If you’re suffering from diabetes, note one ball is equal to one fruit. So ask your doctor before using this remedy for treating constipation.
- Raisins (seedless) – 1 cup
- Prunes (pitted) – 1 cup
- Dates (pitted) – 1 cup
- Orange juice – 1/2 cup
- Prune juice – 2/3 cup
- Boiling water
- Steam equal quantities of dry fruits over boiling water to soften them.
- Place them in a food processor and blend thoroughly.
- Add orange juice and prune juices and stir well.
- Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Eat this mixture alone or by serving it on toast, crackers, hot cereals or in other food items.
- Eat this mixture regularly.
Tips And Precautions:
Here are a few simple and effective tips which you can follow for treating constipation without causing any side effects.
- Raisins are a good substitute for sugar, as it acts as natural sugars to prevent diabetic, obesity and other health problems. So, intake of raisin bran is very effective for treating constipation and other digestive problems due to its fiber content and other nutritional values.
- It’s always beneficial for you to consume moderate serving of raisins along with sufficient amount of water and other fluids will provide you with the essential amount of fiber.
- Also eat other fiber foods to reduce constipation.
- If you have continued constipation, visit a healthcare provider or doctor to know whether there is any wrong with the digestive system and get treatment.
Constipation is not a serious health problem but it can be annoying, so add these raisins in your daily diet to get relieve from constipation. But make sure to consult doctor, if anything persists for immediate treatment.
6 Other Ingredients Which Works For Constipation:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Epsom Salt
- Olive Oil
Recommended Posts For Constipation