Mustard For Heartburn: How To Get Rid Of Heartburn
Heartburn is a sensation of tightness, pain or discomfort in the middle of the chest. It occurs when the stomach acid comes up into esophagus and causes an uncomfortable burning sensation. If you experience this heartburn frequently, then it turns to acid reflux or GERD.
Causes Of Heartburn
Unhealthy food habits, lifestyle changes, stress and damaged sphincter are the common causes for heartburn.
Mustard And Heartburn
Mustard is a common household item that can be obtained from the seeds of a yellow flowered Eurasian plant. As well as in food, it can be used to help with many health and beauty concerns, one of these being heartburn. This is a form of indigestion caused by acid regurgitation and can be felt as a burning sensation in the chest.
How Mustard Helps to Get Rid Of Heartburn
Benefits Of Mustard For Heartburn:
- Mustard stops excess acid production in the stomach due to its vinegar content.
- It neutralizes the acids in the stomach and prevents stomach from producing any extra acid.
- It improves the pH level by balancing your intake of alkaline and acids.
- Mustards are good source of iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc which aids for better digestion and helps to prevent heartburn.
- Mustard contains vinegar which acts as a strong stimulant of saliva, helping for faster digestion without making the acids to come back to esophagus tube.
How To Use Mustard For Heartburn?
Home Remedies For Heartburn
Try using mustard in the following ways to help to rid you of the heartburn. Make sure you apply these methods regularly.
1. In Diet
- Eat a teaspoon or two of plain yellow mustard directly.
- Eat foods that contain mustard, like a hot dogs, sandwich, etc.
2. Yellow Mustard with Buttermilk
This process is especially useful in situations where it is harder to consume mustard with plain water.
- Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of mustard in 1 glass of buttermilk.
- Drink this to get relief from heartburn.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of both chopped cilantro and asafetida and a pinch of salt.
3. Mustard with Honey
- Mix 2 teaspoons of organic yellow mustard and a glass of lukewarm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and stir it well.
- Drink this mixture immediately and regularly.
4. Mustard Tea
- You can also consume mustard tea for heartburn relief.
- Boil 2 glasses of water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tea leaves and allow to boil for a few minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1/2 teaspoon of grated ginger.
- Boil for a bit longer and then strain.
- Add honey and consume regularly.
- Add milk (optional) in the last stages of making the tea.
- You could also add green tea leaves instead of tea leaves (but don’t add milk)
- Consume regularly.
Tips to Get Rid Of Heartburn:
Follow these tips and precautions for getting rid of heartburn quickly without any side effects.
- Avoid drinking any liquids soon after you take this mustard to avoid washing it down.
- If you don’t like the mustard taste, just swish your mouth with water and spit out after swallowing the mustard.
- Use a good quality mustard (but not mustard seeds) in your diet.
- Keep individually wrapped mustard packets with you always to use in emergencies.
- For getting immediate relief, let the mustard slowly slide down your throat coating it thoroughly.
- To help the problem, avoid eating spicy food, reduce your weight, avoid over usage of certain medications.
- Elevate your head up to 4 – 6 inches while sleeping and take antacids.