Everyone loves time in the sun, but excess exposure to the UV rays can cause sunburn. The skin turns red, inflamed, and sensitive to touch, and in severe cases may also cause blisters and peeling of skin.
The sunburned area can also develop itching, scarring, freckles and dry skin. Other symptoms of sunburn include nausea, headache, chills, fatigue and in severe cases the person might find difficulty in speaking. Cancer is one of the long term affects of sunburn.
Someone suffering with severe sunburn needs to move to a cool place immediately and requires urgent medical attention. Mild sunburn can be treated with certain home remedies, such as using apple cider vinegar.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar good for treating Sunburn?
- It acts as an astringent that shrinks or constricts the blood tissues which in turn reduces the inflammation caused by sunburn.
- It balances the pH levels of the burned skin and thus balances the acidity and alkalinity of the skin to speed up the healing process.
- It has natural anti – inflammatory properties.
- It has many essential vitamins and minerals that help to replenish the lost nutrients.
- Some researchers believe that it acts as a cooling and moisturizing agent that makes the skin release the pent – up heat.
- Some studies show that it will soften the epidermis (sunburned areas) and thus clears the dead skin cells gently.
- It acts as an antiseptic agent that kills the germs and relieves you from pain, discomfort, peeling and blistering after burning.
- The acetic acid and malic acid in apple cider vinegar helps to ease the common sunburn symptoms.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Sunburn:
It is best to dilute apple cider vinegar before applying it on the skin to prevent any burning or itching. Here are some effective methods that help to get rid of the sunburn and its symptoms.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soak a clean washcloth in ¼ of a cup of apple cider vinegar ror 3 minutes.
- Wring the cloth out and place on the sunburned skin.
- Leave on to dry for a few minutes.
- Apply moisturizer or coconut oil on the skin.
- Or you can also add 2 parts of cold water to 1 part of cider vinegar and apply this mix on the sunburn.
- Note: Add 2 drops of lavender oil, 1 drop of peppermint oil and coconut oil in the above process to ease the skin peeling and stinging.
- Or simply apply pure apple cider vinegar directly on the skin using a cotton ball or washcloth, wait a while and then take a cool bath.
- Follow these processes regularly.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Bath
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar into your bath and soak in it for a few minutes.
- Have this bath about 2 – 3 times a week.
- Or blend 2 raw potato pieces to extract its juice and mix with 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. Add this to your bath and soak in it for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Or apply ACV all over the sunburn using a cotton ball after taking your bath.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Spray
Stir equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water and put into a spray bottle.
Spray on the sunburned areas of the skin multiple times a day.
Let it dry then apply moisturizer.
Repeat this regularly.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar with Lavender Oil and Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti – inflammatory and skin healing properties that soothe the skin. Lavender oil heals the burn.
- Pierce 2 vitamin E capsules to squeeze out the oil from it.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of organic apple cider vinegar, lavender oil and 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel.
- Leave for a few hours or overnight.
- Shake it well and apply on the sunburned areas of the skin.
- Massage it gently for few minutes then leave for a few minutes to overnight (if applied at night time).
- Refrigerate the remaining mix to use regularly.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda and Peppermint Oil
Baking soda has an antiseptic property and balances the pH levels of the skin to reduce itching, irritation and inflammation caused by sunburn. Peppermint oil gives your skin a cool and relaxing effect.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and water, 1 – 2 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar and 2 – 3 drops of peppermint oil.
- Apply this paste gently on the sunburned areas.
- Wait for about 5 – 10 minutes then wash and dry the skin before applying moisturizer.
- Repeat once or twice a day.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda and Potato Juice
Potato has starch content that cools down the skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and potato juice and 1 teaspoon of diluted apple cider vinegar (diluted with water in 1:1 ratio).
- Apply on the sunburn and allow it to sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash it off once it has dried.
- Repeat once a day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda Compress
Baking soda soothes the itchy skin.
- Combine 1/4 cup each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar and a few drops of lavender oil (or any soothing essential oil).
- Apply this mix on the sunburn with a cotton ball.
- Allow it to sit for few minutes and repeat when required.
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of oats and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in your bath.
- Soak in the bath for no more than 30 minutes.
- Then apply healing moisturizers like coconut oil or aloe vera on still damp skin.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar with Herbs
This process is very effective in treating sunburn.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pan and add 2 tablespoons of dried mint leaves, dried plantain leaf and lavender flowers.
- Let it boil for a few minutes, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the liquid to discard the herbs.
- Then add equal quantity of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Pour in an empty spray bottle and spray this on the sunburned skin as often as needed.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar with Aloe Vera Spray
In this remedy, cool water provides an initial relief, aloe vera gives you a cooling sensation and moisturizes the skin. Vinegar with its quick evaporating quality helps to release the trapped heat from deep skin tissues.
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar in 2 parts cool water.
- Add a few tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel and pour into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray on the sunburn when needed.
- Spray onto a cotton ball and apply if you have sunburn on your face.
- Repeat regularly.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar with Yogurt
- Apply plain yogurt on the sunburn to give a cooling effect.
- Leave for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash your skin with cool water and then by using a vinegar bath, as explained in method 2.
- Dry the skin and apply moisturizer.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar with Olive Oil
- Stir equal quantities of olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Apply this on the sunburn, leave for a few minutes then rinse off and apply moisturizer.
- You can also mix ascorbic acid with this mixture for fast relief.
- Follow this process regularly.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey
- Honey works well for treating sunburn and its blisters.
- Mix equal quantities of raw honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this mix on the sunburn blisters.
- Leave it on for few minutes to get dry, and then wash it off gently with water.
- Follow this process regularly.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar with Rose Water
All these ingredients soothe the skin and helps to reduce peeling.
- Mix 1/4 cup of rose water, 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 10 drops of lavender or peppermint oil.
- Store in a spritzer bottle and apply on the sunburn as often as needed.
- Or pour 2 cups of acv over 1 cup of dried rose petals or 2 cups of fresh rose petals. Cover with a plastic lid and place in a cool and dark place for at least few weeks, mixing daily. Strain the petals out apply the water to the sunburn.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Tips And Precautions:
- Apply the remedies more frequently if the burns are severe.
- Always use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar.
- Do a patch test first to make sure you are not allergic to acv.
- Avoid applying on open cuts or wounds. Also do not get in the eyes.
- It is recommended to use cool (but not cold) water on sunburn, as this would cause the heat to push deeper into the skin’s layers, or it would shock the skin.
- Keep vinegar spray out of the reach out of children and pets.
- Make sure to consult your doctor immediately if you’re experiencing fever, chills or blisters after receiving sunburn.
Be sure to use these methods regularly without any interruption and consult your doctor if you develop any problems or see no results.