Psoriasis is a chronic, sometimes genetic, autoimmune disorder characterized by the buildup of thick, scaly, patches of dead cells on the skin’s surface. In addition to skin, these red, itchy rashes can affect nails and joints(called psoriatic arthritis). While psoriasis cannot be cured, the symptoms can be significantly reduced. There are plenty of over-the-counter creams and prescription medications, all of which claim to be the most effective treatment for psoriasis, but they can be expensive and they can come with serious unwanted side effects.
Luckily, there is a safe, natural, affordable way to treat the symptoms of psoriasis at home. According to researchers at the International Congress of Dermatology in Prague, aloe vera is more effective than topical steroids at reducing the symptoms of plaque psoriasis. We’re about to tell you how to use it, but first, take a look at why it works.
Is Aloe Vera Good For Psoriasis?
- Aloe vera moisturizes skin while forming a protective layer that discourages bacterial growth.
- It strengthens the immune system and increases the production of white blood cells.
- It has has mild anaesthetic, antifungal, antibacterial, skin soothing and anti – inflammatory properties which reduces redness, swelling, itching, and other inflammatory symptoms of psoriasis.
- When consumed, aloe vera detoxifies the body from within and aids in proper digestion to prevent gut issues (by eliminating toxins through colon) that in turn helps to get control over psoriasis.
- Aloe vera penetrates deep into skin, reducing the thickness of psoriasis rashes and flakes.
- It has 99% of water which hydrates and moisturizes the skin to prevent dryness and irritation.
- It stimulates the new cell growth along with natural steroids and nutrients.
- Aloe vera contains calcium, copper, magnesium, potassium, iron, chromium, zinc anti-oxidants, salicylic acid, enzymes, vitamins A, B, B12, C & E, polysaccharides, and amino acids, all of which keep skin healthy.
Remedies For Psoriasis
How To Use Aloe Vera To Treat Psoriasis:
Fresh juice and gel always work best. If you don’t have access to a plant, buy organic gel or juice from a health and beauty store or order it online.
1. Aloe Vera
This process is used to treat psoriasis on all over the skin along with nails and joints.
- Slice open an aloe vera leaf and squeeze to extract gel.
- Apply to skin, massaging gently in circles for 2 minutes.
- Leave on overnight if you apply at night or wash off with cool water after 15 minutes.
- Repeat 3 times a day.
- Note: you can wrap the aloe applied psoriasis infected areas with plastic sheet to lock the moisture
2. Aloe Vera And Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is anti–bacterial, antiseptic, and anti–inflammatory. It relieves itching, burning, and redness.
- Mix 100 ml of pure aloe vera gel, 6 drops of tea tree oil, 10 ml each of avocado oil, lavender oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, and bergamot, and 4 ml each of patchouli and 3 drops of German chamomile.
- Pour mixture into an airtight container and let stand overnight.
- Apply mixture to skin preferably after shower.
- Massage gently in circles for 2 minutes.
- Leave on for few minutes and rinse with water.
- Repeat 2 times a day.
3. Aloe Vera With Coconut Oil And Shea Butter
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of alovera, coconut oil and shea butter.
- Stir well and then apply on skin, massaging gently in circles for 2 minutes.
- Leave on overnight or rinse with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
- Repeat daily to get relief from the itching and dryness.
- Or you can mix small amount of aloe vera gel and lukewarm coconut oil. Apply on
- the psoriasis affected skin and scalp areas. Rinse it off after getting few minutes.
- Add aloe vera gel to cocoa butter, Shea butter and oils with vitamin B5(like jojoba, evening primrose, lavender, calendula, or vitamin E oil, etc.) to make fine moisturizing cream and use this cream to get rid of psoriasis.
4. Drink Aloe Vera Juice
Psoriasis cab be caused due to deficiency of vitamin B12, drinking aloe vera juice helps you to get enough of vitamin B12.
- Drink at least ¼ cup fresh-squeezed aloe vera juice per day.
- You can mix it into smoothies, or fruit and vegetable juices.
- Drink it twice a day, once before breakfast and once before dinner.
- Avoid drinking aloe vera juice of you’re pregnant or lactating.
5. Aloe Vera And Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is anti–bacterial and anti-fungal. It softens, nourishes, and moisturizes skin.
- Melt ½ cup organic extra virgin coconut oil.
- Mix melted coconut oil with 1/3 cup fresh aloe vera gel.
- Stir it well by using an electric or hand whisker for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add 3 drops each of lavender, rose, and peppermint oil.
- Store mixture in airtight containerand keeps it aside for few hours.
- Apply mixture on the affected skin leave on overnight.
- Rinse with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Store the remaining mixture in refrigerator.
- If you’re using this on your scalp, follow it with aloe vera shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat nightly.
Note: You can apply this lotion after shower or bath to lock the moisture.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil.
- In a blender, mix melted coconut oil, 4 teaspoons of aloe vera, and ½ teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- add few drops of peppermint oil (or any other essential oil of your choice) in this mix.
- Pour the mixture into airtight container and store in refrigerator.
- Apply on clean skin before going to bed and leave on overnight.
- In the morning, rinse or shower.
- Repeat to reduce the symptoms of psoriasis.
6. Aloe Vera With Witch Hazel, Menthol, And Clove Oil
- Mix ½ teaspoon each of witch hazel, vitamin E oil, clove oil, menthol, tea tree oil, pine tar, and cedar leaf oil.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
- Apply on the affected area and massage gently in circles for 2 minutes.
- Leave on for few hours or overnight.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and towel-dry.
- Repeat once a day.
7. Aloe Vera And Milk
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon of full fat milk.
- Stir well and use fingertips to apply on the affected area.
- Leave on 20 minutes or overnight.
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
- Follow the process regularly.
Note: You can use fresh and organic aloe vera juice instead of aloe vera gel.
8. Aloe Vera And Cayenne Pepper
- Mix ¼ cup of aloe vera gel with 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper.
- Apply on the skin after shower or before going to bed.
- Leave for few hours or overnight.
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily.
Note: If cayenne pepper causes burning sensations, wash it off early and apply moisturizer.
Aloe Vera For Scalp Psoriasis:
9. Aloe Vera And Water
- Mix ½ glass each of aloe vera juice and water.
- Apply to scalp and massage gently in circles for 5 minutes.
- Massaging help to get relief from itching and inflammation on the scalp.
- Leave on 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water and towel-dry hair.
- Repeat regularly.
- For added benefit, include 2 drops lavender, peppermint or tea tree oil.
- Also try adding aloe vera juice or gel to your regular shampoo and conditioner.
10. Aloe Vera And Essential Oils
- Add 1 – 2 drops of lavender, peppermint or tea tree oil in 1 – 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Stir it well and apply this on the scalppatches.
- Massage it gently on all over your scalp and
- Leave on for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Rinse with aloe vera shampoo followed by an aloe vera conditioner and towel dry.
- Repeat 2 times a week.
Note: You can add aloe vera gel / juice to your shampoo before shampooing your hair.
- Add 3 – 5 drops of lavender essential oils in 2 ounces of aloe vera gel.
- Mix it well and apply on the scalp.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 30 minutes and rinse your scalp with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily severe psoriasis on scalp and twice a week for mild psoriasis.
11. Aloe Vera Gel And Garlic Oil
This process also helps to treat lesions on all over your skin, nails and joints.
- Mix equal quantities aloe vera gel and garlic oil.
- Pour into a container.
- Apply on the scalp where you have psoriasis patches and leave on 15 minutes.
- Rinse scalp and hair with shampoo followed with conditioner and water.
- Repeat regularly.
12. Aloe Vera And Jojoba Oil
- These natural ingredients help to moisture the dry, flaky and scaling scalps.
- Add some fresh aloe vera gel in enough of jojoba oil.
- Apply on the scalp, massaging gently by concentrating more on the psoriasis affected scalp areas.
- Leave on overnight and rinse in the morning with shampoo.
- Follow the process regularly to get relief from itching and burning.
Tips And Precautions:
- For best results, follow the advice below when using aloe vera to reduce the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Use aloe vera based creams, lotions, shampoos, or conditioners to treat psoriasis. use brands that do not include chemical preservatives. Trusted brands include Green Lead Naturals, Artnaturals, Fruit of Earth, Earth’s Daughter, Lily of the Desert, Aloe Farms, Desert Essence, InstaNatural, Jason, The Body Shop, and Crabtree and Evelyn.
- Aloe vera capsules are available, but fresh juice or gel are much more effective. Take advice from your doctor before using.
- If you are pregnant or nursing, or if you have kidney disorders, consult a doctor before using aloe vera regularly.
- For children under 8 years of age, consult a doctor before using aloe vera.
- Research indicates that applying creams that consist of at least 0.5% aloe for 4 weeks significantly reduces psoriasis outbreaks.
- Always apply aloe vera after washing skin, and do not apply it to open wounds.
- Before starting regular treatments, do a patch test to find out of you are allergic to aloe vera.
- Avoid using latex of aloe vera (either for consumption or topical application on skin) which causes diarrhea, cramps, lowers the blood sugar levels. Monitor the blood sugar levels regularly, if you have diabetes or using blood sugar lowering medicines.
- If aloe vera does not help reduce your symptoms, consult your doctor.
Other than using these remedies keep your skin well moisturized and follow and apply sunscreen before stepping out. Eat nutritional food and avoid stress, and quit smoking and alcohol.